Paragliding in BC

Paragliding in BC

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Back to Blogging

I figured it was time to blog again to give my non-flying friends somewhere to avoid when they're sick of hearing me talk about paragliding!

Paragliding has crossed the line from something that I loved to an all-out obsession. Funny enough this change occured during the past month in the midst of the torrential downpours we've been having. After the 4th day in a row of rain waking me up...in MAY...I was overwhelmed by despair. I literally pulled the covers over my head & contemplated never leaving my bed again. That's when it hit me - I was addicted. My moods have now become completely intertwined with the weather. Is it flyable? I'm happy. No chance of flying? Don't come near me.

I forced myself out of bed & tried to focus on something else. Over to facebook where a flying friend from Europe said he just voted for me in a paragliding contest that I'd forgotten I'd entered and had actually had my entry nominated:

http://www.flyozone.com/paragliders/en/adventure/because/

That's when I resigned to my addiction. I mean, when paragliding hunts you down at home and emails you that it's sending you prizes there's really no way out, right?

I felt a lot better when I accepted my fate. Since then I've happily flown sledders in the drizzle, blissfully scratched in light lift all the way to alternate landing zones and launched even when reports from the air said conditions were 'spicy' and 'interesting' (macho talk for 'Mommeee!'). My skills have really progressed over the past year or 2 and now I'm finally admitting that I'm a pretty good pilot. And isn't admitting something the first step in recovery? If you want to recover, that is...

No comments: