Paragliding in BC

Paragliding in BC

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Big 5-0

4 months ago I did my first tandem flight as the pilot-in-command. Yesterday I flew my 50th passenger! It's been a blast so far & I'm so glad to have been able to pursue this facet of my favourite sport. Tandem flying has made me see things differently, given me more confidence in my flying, and brought me endless joy in living vicariously through everyone of one my passengers thrill of discovery on their first flight.

I had originally hesitated each time someone asked if I was going to get my tandem rating. I figured that turning my passion into my job would make it feel like "work" and kill my love for the sport. I thought that tandem flying would "cut into" my solo time and I'd start resenting it.

Of course now I've found that the opposite is true. Nothing beats a phone call or email from someone offering me money to fly! In fact, as the days get shorter & fall is approaching I'm sad to think tandem season is almost over.

My dream is to get enough experience so that I can work around the world flying tandems one day. Head to South America or New Zealand in the winter & fly tandems in their summer and basically get a paid vacation.

Dare to dream!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Congratulations Martina! I'm glad you made it past tandem number 45, unlike me! :)

Glad to hear your passion for flying hasn't been hampered by doing tandems for work - I'm so glad that you're enjoying it so much.

Don't be sad about the weather - who knows, Woodside might be flyable all year. Or, take your tandem rig out to Ecuador or someplace warm you end up going this year, and take the locals - they'll be grateful for it, and you'll keep up your awesome skills!

Anyhoo, I wish we'd fly together more often, but perhaps I will have to ask you to take me tandem for that to happen. :)