Paragliding in BC

Paragliding in BC

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Aug 5: Day 1

Got my short flight out of the way today...nowhere to go but up!  It was a really late start and I think I just got minimum points for the day.  I did try to hit the start cylinder which was across the valley, but it doesn't really matter since I ended up at the main landing field.

I launched about 15 minutes before the start.  Most pilots had launched earlier, but I'm not in the flying shape I was last year and my longest flights this year have only been around an hour.  Between the weather and doing mostly tandems I haven't had a chance to do a lot of thermal practice at home.  So I launched later and actually started off really well.  Hit a few good thermals, got to 1900 meters but the thermals started drifting me over the back.  I didn't really want to go back there since we'd been warned about not being able to make it out, and I'm glad I stayed out front even though it meant I didn't get as high.  

There were 2 reserve deployments that I know of, as well as a pilot who landed in a tree.  The winds started picking up quite strongly from the north (forecast was for southwest?) which made the air quite rough.  I'm so glad I got to work on my bump tolerance yesterday...in fact I found today less rough although other pilots said they found it worse today.  I'm really happy with how my wing felt in the air, I feel I'm getting to know it quickly even though I've only had a few flights on it.  The trick today was probably launching earlier and getting high, although by the time I landed I'm not sure pilots on anything less than the "new" EN-D rated wings could get very far.  It will be interesting to hear the stories at the welcome dinner tonight!

I was feeling pretty bummed when I realized I wasn't going to make even the first waypoint today.  Then I decided to just stay in the air for a while and fly around when I saw the 2nd reserve deployment.   After landing I heard about the tree landing, and then some good pilots had come to land at the same LZ, so by the time I'd packed up I didn't feel so bad.  I had a great launch, landing, came home in one piece and had fun in the air.  That's a successful day to me, and I'm learning more about this site every day.  6 more days to try for goal!


Task today: follow the zigzag :)


No comments: