Paragliding in BC

Paragliding in BC

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Aug 8: no task

The forecast for today showed wind and low clouds, so the organizers called the day early for us and about half the pilots scattered to go hiking, swimming, kayaking, mountain biking...this really is an outdoor playground.

The rest of us stuck around to hang out with Dennis Cortella who set up a simulator and showed us all some new tricks on how to react in turbulence and more effective body positions while flying in general.  He also helped pilots adjust their harnesses properly...so nice to have an actual harness designer tweaking your gear for you!

Having two days off from the competition has definitely given me a new perspective on my flying here.  I found the practice day turbulent, but probably since I hadn't done much flying in strong conditions this year.  Then during first two tasks I thermalled well but am still doubting myself so turned and landed back at the main landing zone that I knew rather than go explore the "unknown".  Having a couple of days off to reflect on why and talk to some of the more experienced competition pilots about self-confidence and the mental aspect of flying has been great, and I am really excited about competing again tomorrow.  Hoping for no wind, blue skies and happy thermals for the rest of the week!

Clouds hugging the mountain today

No comments: